Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Our client, a large global supplier for the automotive industry, is looking to add an Environmental Health & Safety Specialist to their team!
The position of Environmental Health & Safety Specialist involves the oversight of the environmental health and safety of the plant. The role supports the plant and personnel by acting as a liaison in matters regarding environmental and health and safety, communications and continuous improvement related to the departmental matters. The incumbant has on going contacts both internally and externally and must combine his/her technical, human and conceptual skills to plan, lead and motivate their team toward meeting objectives.
- Effectively deal with employee concerns with respect to safe and healthful workplace, environmental, and communication of information.
- Act as a resource/consultant to Team Leaders, Supervisors, Managers and top Management with regard to policies, legislation, in regards to Environmental/Health and Safety to ensure the fair and reasonable implementation and interpretation of these policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a maturity of judgment, leadership skills, attention to detail and exceptional organizational, listening, communication and presentation skills in all aspects of the job function.
- Manages industrial environment aspects of the work site; ie. waste/by-product analysis for required disposal, emission discharge approvals, emergency preparedness and response plan, etc.
- Works with contractors to ensure compliance in environmental and health and safety policy and procedures.
- Maintains environmental management system (including budgeting requirements). Reporting on aspects of the health and safety/environmental management system to the management team, I.e. corrective actions, continuous improvement programs.
- Managing of health and safety/environmental legislative compliance and acts as a liaison with government agencies and corporate in the interest of the company’s health and safety/environmental affairs.
- Manages and administers professional services to ensure maintenance of accurate records to provide documentation and accountability in support of findings and conclusions.
- Calculates and reports sample findings factually, respecting confidences, advises honestly and reports finding and recommendations.
- Participates and collaborates in audits.
- Assists in coordinating of health and safety/environmental training of personnel as it pertains to their position in the company and the health and safety/environmental management system.
- Assists in coordinating Health and Safety programs for the plant.
- Belongs to Joint Health and Safety committee; and makes recommendations as required.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of the safety policies/procedures and ensures communication of same.
- Participates in the investigation of accidents/incidents and follows up to ensure completion of recommendations. Cooperates in the preparation of material/evidence for use in hearings and insurance investigations.
- Analysis of accident statistics/type/frequency/severity and makes recommendations as required.
- Promotes/recommends continuous improvement suggestions including environment, people, processes and equipment/machinery.
- Develops and presents Health, Safety and Environmental programs and procedures to all Employees.
- Assists implementation of 5S operating philosophy.
- Follows and adheres to requirements of TS as required.
- Participate in new employee orientation in regards to environmental and health and safety programs
Knowledge and Education
- High school diploma.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary diploma/ certificate in Environmental Management with a minimum three (3) years experience in related field.
- Have an understanding of Health & Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Strong interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have strong computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Able to prepare, read and interpret written reports, correspondence, instructions, procedures and guidelines.
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, employees, suppliers and customers.
- Exhibit a high degree of confidentiality, and use discretion and tact.
- Must be able to work and communicate effectively in team environment.
- Able to manage and schedule multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Able to work flexible hours and overtime.
- Maintain updates in specified field technology and legislative changes.
- Minimum 5 years related work experience in an automotive environment with knowledge of production facility, systems, equipment and dies is an asset.